Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Christmas Season is upon us.



One of the difficult things about living in China is not being near family and friends in the U.S. at Christmas. This is our 9th Christmas in China. Since we teach at the university, we don't get a holiday at this time of year. They usually give us the day off if we want it, but we have to make up the missed day later. One of these years I'd like to have a Christmas holiday so we can be 'home for the Christmas' as the song goes.
I miss the Christmas spirit that seems to be in the air as everyone gets ready for the big day. I miss shopping and (believe it or not) hearing Christmas music playing in the stores. I miss getting together with friends and family. I miss the special times at church as we remember again the 'reason for the season.' I miss the cheery greetings by shop owners and the warm wishes for the season's best. I miss the smell of fresh pine from the tree. (we have a tree here of course, but it's plastic. I did manage to find a potted Norfolk Pine last year and it was a good substitute for a real tree, although it doesn't have the pine smell.)

So how do we celebrate Christmas in China? Well, we put up the tree and all the decor. It's not hard to find decorations here since most are made in China, but the quality isn't quite the same. I guess the ones that show up in the discount markets here are the ones that didn't quite make it for export. Anyway, the house looks warm and bright with lights. We also light candles, and make spiced cider and invite our close friends and students over to share the season's fun. They love the cider, in spite of the fact that cinamon is not a taste most Chinese people are used to. Last year we made tons of gingerbread cookies. I invited my students from each class to come over and decorate a cookie. They had never had such an experience. It was quite a delight. They each posed by the Christmas tree for pictures with me and their cooky. It was fun. So here in China we have no lack of friends and some who have become like family too.

Christmas is a holiday that holds some fascination with the Chinese people. A student remarked recently that her family had already booked a restaurant for Christmas dinner since you had to book several weeks in advance to get a table. Funny! It's not even a recognized holiday here. I expect it to be a bit popular with our English students since learning about culture is part of learning a language. So having a Christmas party in class and talking about the customs is all part of an English lesson. So they are used to having some sort of Chirstmas party. That doesn't explain however, why the stores and restaurants are decorating with Christmas trees and Santa Claus faces in the windows. Even our apartment complex has put up a tree outdoors in the yard. Maybe they didn't know what to do with all the made-for-export goods that didn't get shipped. Here though there just isn't the same Christmas spirit there is at home. It seems just a good excuse to have a party. Then again, I can't expect someone to understand when they haven't got the background. I certainly don't feel the same about Spring Festival as the Chinese do. It's a curiosity for me but has no special nostalgia since I didn't grow up with it. Intersting how deeply these cultural practices get ingrained in the fabric of our souls.


So this Saturday we are having a big bash in a Karaoke Club. Lots of
previous students and friends we have gotten to know over the years
will all get together for singing, snacks, games and even a gift exchange. Karaoke is a big thing here in China and its a great place to have a party. They have countless private rooms of differing sizes, so you can reserve the size that's right for your group. You can make lots of noise and not bother the neighbors. Besides, they clean up the mess! We are expecting maybe 100 people, so it should ge a great time. We will be thinking of all our Stateside friends and family of course.


Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. Let me know how you are going to celebrate the season.





No comments: